Last Updated on February 27, 2023 by Rayna
Blog post by: Rayna Piazza
As a Christian, you have authority in Christ. It’s already there. You do not have to earn it. Why do you have it? Well, you have been given this authority to overcome darkness and to bring the light of the Kingdom of God to earth. Once you know your authority in Christ there is nothing that can defeat you. Uncovering this part of your life will change you forever. One of our jobs as a Christian is to learn all about our authority and how to walk it out so that you can fulfill your God-given purpose on the earth.
Let’s look at the Word of God
And when He had called His twelve disciples to Him, He gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all kinds of sickness and all kinds of disease.Matthew 10:1, NKJV
Power to heal disease
As you can see in scripture, Jesus gave His disciples power (or authority) over unclean spirits and power to heal all kinds of disease As a modern day disciple of Christ, you also have that same power. How do we use that power? Jesus says that the power is given so that you can “cast them out.” The way that you exert this power is through prayer and declarations. Now let’s look at what Jesus says in Luke 10:19:
Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you.Luke 10:19, NKJV
Nothing shall hurt you
This verse further explains your authority in Christ. Jesus says that not only do you have authority over all the power of the enemy, but He also says that NOTHING shall by any means hurt you. Think about this. Nothing, as in no thing, shall by any means hurt you. If you are experiencing recurring hurt in any area of your life then it is probably safe to say that you are not walking in His authority in that area of your life. You are destined for victory in every area of your life!
4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.1 John 5:4, NKJV
Uncovering Your Authority in Christ
Let’s look at the how we begin the process of walking in the authority of Christ:
- Submit yourself to God – Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7
- Learn what scripture says about your authority – 19 Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” Matthew 18:19-20
- Learn who you are in Christ…your identity – 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29: 11-13
- Listen for Jesus to speak to your heart – My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. John 10:27
- Ask Holy Spirit for direction –However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. John 16:13
- Exert your authority with prayer and declarations – “…for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20
Prayer for Authority
Jesus, I submit myself to You and Your ways. Teach me how to walk in Your authority. I acknowledge that You love me and I receive Your love. I invite You in the area of my heart where I am experiencing emotional pain and lack of authority. Speak to me and reveal to me what area of my life that You want to teach me to walk in Your authority. Amen.
Next, I encourage you to write down the area of your life that Jesus revealed to you. This is the area where He wants to teach you how to walk in His authority. It could be a situation at work, a relationship in your life, a past trauma that you have gone through, or any other place of hurt or tension.
Finally, I encourage you to ask Holy Spirit to reveal to you why you do not have authority in this area of your life. Ask Him to reveal any lies you are believing. Also, ask for Him to reveal the scripture that brings the lie to truth.
Capture Every Thought
4 We fight with weapons that are different from those the world uses. Our weapons have power from God that can destroy the enemy’s strong places. We destroy people’s arguments 5 and every proud thing that raises itself against the knowledge of God. We capture every thought and make it give up and obey Christ.2 Corinthians 10:4-5, NCV
Look at that! We have the ability to capture every thought and make it give up and obey Christ. This is how you renew your mind. Uncover your thought life and you’ll uncover your pain. Pain is a great indicator of where God wants to release more of His authority in our lives. And, remember, we are all a work in progress. Just keep putting one step in front of the other and it will all start to come together.
Keys to Walking in His Authority
- Prayer – Create a lifestyle of open communication with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Talk to Him throughout your day and listen how He responds to you.
- Intimacy – I once heard intimacy defined as “into me you see.” Let Jesus into the deepest places of your heart. Get honest with Him and yourself. As you uncover your heart to Him, He will reveal His heart to you.
- Worship – Let the fear of the Lord enter your heart and freely worship Him. Lay on the floor or kneel in reverence to Him. Let Him speak to your heart as you worship with body, spirit, and soul.
- Praise – Jump around. I’m serious…get up and jump for the Lord. Put on some praise music and let loose. This is a powerful act in the spirit realm and it breaks the yoke of the enemy.
- Learn the Word of God – Let Him reveal scripture to you on a deeper level.
- Declare God’s Word over your life daily – Make this a habit and in doing so you are feeding your spirit man. Your spirit man needs to be fed the same way your natural body needs breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Go to the Throne Room of Grace – “Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Hebrews 4:16
Did this blog post speak to your heart? I hope so! Sign up today to receive my emails featuring the latest from Seeking Him Today by going to our Stay In Touch page.