Last Updated on May 17, 2021 by Rayna
Blog post by: Rayna Piazza
As I seek Jesus in the places of my life where I fail to see Him, I am astounded by what I find. In The Passion Translation of the Bible, Paul instructs us in Colossians 1:23, “Never be shaken from the hope of the gospel you have believed in.”
In this passage as Paul was writing to the church of Colossae, he was sitting in a prison cell. When I think about this I have to ask myself, how was Paul able to overcome his circumstance? Similarly, how was he able to encourage others when his circumstances were so dire?
Identity in Christ
The answer that comes to mind is knowing my identity in Christ. As we learn who we are as Christians, and we learn what it really means to walk with Jesus, we can overcome our circumstances…no matter what we face. Paul truly understood that the prison cell he was in did not define his character or his worth. Wow. Most importantly, if that was true for him then it’s true for us.
6 In the same way you received Jesus our Lord and Messiah by faith, continue your journey of faith, progressing further into your union with him! 7 Your spiritual roots go deeply into his life as you are continually infused with strength, encouraged in every way. For you are established in the faith you have absorbed and enriched by your devotion to him!Colossians 2:6-7, TPT
I have learned that in order for my spiritual roots to go deeply into the life of Christ, I have to learn what those roots are. To clarify, if I am to be “never shaken” then I have to learn what not to be shaken from. How do you find these things? Well, I have good news! The Bible contains everything we are. It’s a walking definition of our identity as Christians. Read these truths to find out who you really are in Christ.
Who you are in Christ
- You are beautiful (So the King will greatly desire your beauty; Because He is your Lord, worship Him. Psalm 45:11)
- You are unique (For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. Psalm 139:13)
- You are loved (The Lord has appeared of old to me, saying: “Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you. Jeremiah 31:3)
- You are special (For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10)
- You are created with a purpose (For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11)
- You are cared for (17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:17-19)
- You are precious (For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s. 1 Corinthians 6:20)
- You are strong (You have also given me the shield of Your salvation; Your right hand has held me up, Your gentleness has made me great. Psalm 18:35)
- You are important (But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light 1 Peter 2:9)
- You are forgiven (As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us. Psalm 103:12)
- You are a new creation (Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17)
- You are protected (He will not allow your foot to be moved;
He who keeps you will not slumber. Psalm 121:3)
- You are empowered (I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13)
- You are chosen (You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. John 15:16)
Let the truth sink in
Let these truths sink into your heart as you learn who YOU ARE! You are loved beyond measure; His chosen one. You’re covered in His everlasting love. You were made with a plan and a purpose. Your identity is redefined in Him as you chose to serve Jesus for all of your days.
15 Let your heart be always guided by the peace of the Anointed One, who called you to peace as part of his one body. And always be thankful.Colossians 3:15-16, TPT
16 Let the word of Christ live in you richly, flooding you with all wisdom. Apply the Scriptures as you teach and instruct one another with the Psalms, and with festive praises, and with prophetic songs given to you spontaneously by the Spirit, so sing to God with all your hearts!
You are called to His peace. I am called to His peace. Let’s learn together through His word, the word of God – the Bible, and according to Colossians 2:16, we will be flooded with wisdom. It’s in this wisdom that we will truly learn who we are and that we can all live a life that will never be shaken.
Did this blog post speak to your heart? I hope so! Sign up today to receive my emails featuring the latest from Seeking Him Today by going to our Stay In Touch page.